Monday, September 15, 2014

Remnants of the Damned by Gavin Hetherington

No comments:
 

Goodreads Summary


Witness the Birth of Fear.

There has always been something wrong with the sinister and secluded town of Lakefield View. For one, people get murdered on the streets and nobody does anything about it. Even if they hear their screams curse the night skies, the number of saints has diminished. But it isn't the sick and twisted residents of Lakefield View that are the ones who you should avoid... it's the killers, the psychopaths, the witches and the monsters you should watch out for.

Five unsuspecting workers of a picturesque café get the shock of their lives when a family member is killed before their eyes. A chain of events ensue and they are all catapulted down a spiraling road of mystery and magic, each struggling to overcome constant obstacles that threaten their lives and the safety of their families. As the mystery progresses and the secrets get darker, the friends find it harder and harder to keep their heads above water.

The only thing worse than being alone in the dark, is finding out you're not!
_______________

A prism of genres, Remnants of the Damned promises to be a truly different approach of a series of novels with one of the main characters being gay – a rare occurrence in a mainstream piece of literature in this kind of genre.


Review


So I just read the summary. I hate this book even more now.

I feel like I might be a little harsh here, but I was expecting so much out of this book. I haven't read a horror since... Needful Things by Stephen King. That was about a year ago? I don't even know, but when I read this back in May, I was utterly disappointed. And the fact that I still feel it now says a lot.

  1. This book tried a little too hard. It took pretty much every scary thing you could possibly imagine and crammed it into this little town. There were ghosts, monsters, witches, cannibals, killer clowns, masked murderers, and so on. I'd be fine with any of those singularly. Even a few of those combined. But all of them? Was it necessary? And that's just the characters. The settings were cliche, too. There was an abandoned amusement park and a house in the woods.
  2. It wasn't scary. I wanted to be scared. I got a little bit paranoid, I guess. But I was never genuinely surprised or even concerned. I did not like any of the characters. I shook my head constantly because these people live in a town with killers and they're pretty much begging these killers to come after them.
  3. The ending. The entire book was going for a mysterious thing. (Who's the killer? What's with the clown? Where did so-and-so go? And I know they revealed a story that explained why the ghost appeared, but I'm not sure it ever said who the ghost was?) But the ending was just - no. No no no. If I had liked the book at all, I guess I'd be enticed to read the next one. But I was just annoyed. I knew it was a series, but there was no closure. None.

So I had issues with this book. I don't know, maybe you'll be more attached to the characters. Maybe you'll actually see the connections between the clown and the cannibals. Give it a shot and let me know if I'm missing anything. I'd be open to reading the next one.

Maybe...

Rating: 1 star



Recommendation: you actually can recommend a book you don't like. So I still recommend this to people who like horror. Maybe you'll like it more than I did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff