Friday, September 19, 2014

Dark Metropolis by Jaclyn Dolamore

No comments:
 

Goodreads Summary

Cabaret meets Cassandra Clare-a haunting magical thriller set in a riveting 1930s-esque world.

Sixteen-year-old Thea Holder's mother is cursed with a spell that's driving her mad, and whenever they touch, Thea is chilled by the magic, too. With no one else to contribute, Thea must make a living for both of them in a sinister city, where danger lurks and greed rules.
Thea spends her nights waitressing at the decadent Telephone Club attending to the glitzy clientele. But when her best friend, Nan, vanishes, Thea is compelled to find her. She meets Freddy, a young, magnetic patron at the club, and he agrees to help her uncover the city's secrets-even while he hides secrets of his own.

Together, they find a whole new side of the city. Unrest is brewing behind closed doors as whispers of a gruesome magic spread. And if they're not careful, the heartless masterminds behind the growing disappearances will be after them, too.

Perfect for fans of Cassandra Clare, this is a chilling thriller with a touch of magic where the dead don't always seem to stay that way. 



Review


I guess I see where the Cassandra Clare comment comes from. But I must say that I can't compare the two. I see Cassandra Clare in two different lights. The one who wrote TMI and the one who wrote ID. I loved ID. TMI was okay (but I have yet to read the last book so the jury's still out on that one). As it so happens, this one reminds me more of TMI which is why I see where the comment comes from. BUT I WOULDN'T COMPARE THEM LIKE THAT.

First off, the simple fact the Cassandra Clare writes huge books. I think the shortest is a TMI just shy of 400 pages? I'm not exactly sure, but I feel like 400 pages is a good average of all her books. Dark Metropolis might have been 302 pages, but it sure as hell didn't feel like it. Rephrase: it took forever for me to get through the book. But holding it in my hands, it didn't feel like 302 pages. Yeah, it was an ARC but still. Still.

It did keep me going, even though it took forever. I was interested in finding out more about the bringing-people-to-life thing. And I was curious to see if Thea would find her father. The romance(s) did very little for me. One even less than the other. I won't say anything more because if you've read it or heard about it, you'll have enough words for me. I don't need to add more fuel.

Third person has been an issue with me lately. So that's probably why I didn't connect to these characters. I don't know, really. I tried to like them, but I couldn't. Not enough, anyways. So I was glad when I finally finished it, but just because it was finally over. I'm not sure I'm curious enough to look into the series-

I just did. The next one is Glittering Shadows and it release June 16.

In case you're interested. I think I'll just let it slide, though.

Rating: 3 stars



Recommendation: for those who want fantasy


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff