Monday, May 5, 2014

The Three by Sarah Lotz [ARC Review]

No comments:
 

Goodreads Summary

Four simultaneous plane crashes. Three child survivors. A religious fanatic who insists the three are harbingers of the apocalypse. What if he's right?

The world is stunned when four commuter planes crash within hours of each other on different continents. Facing global panic, officials are under pressure to find the causes. With terrorist attacks and environmental factors ruled out, there doesn't appear to be a correlation between the crashes, except that in three of the four air disasters a child survivor is found in the wreckage.

Dubbed 'The Three' by the international press, the children all exhibit disturbing behavioural problems, presumably caused by the horror they lived through and the unrelenting press attention. This attention becomes more than just intrusive when a rapture cult led by a charismatic evangelical minister insists that the survivors are three of the four harbingers of the apocalypse. The Three are forced to go into hiding, but as the children's behaviour becomes increasingly disturbing, even their guardians begin to question their miraculous survival...


Note: won this book on Goodreads through First Reads.


Review

I am not quite sure how to feel about this book, so I'll start with the basics. I absolutely tore through this book. I started it over spring break. When I went down to San Diego to visit my aunt, I brought it with me. Not sure why, but I did. Whenever there was some downtime, I took it out and read. After staying up late with my aunt, I stayed up even later reading this. Then I regretted it because I'd become irrationally afraid of turning my back on the door. But then the doorway scared me so I did anyways. I don't know what it was that made me so paranoid. That's probably why I liked this book. But also why I'm not entirely convinced.



The premise was definitely interesting. And the way Sarah Lotz carried out the story was somewhat new to me. It was like a book within in a book. Which I actually found to be pretty cool. The 'book' contained primary resources regarding "The Three". It included chapters from a biography, instant messages, interviews left and right, and a few other documents. It follows the people surrounding the three kids. At the end, it has a review of the 'book' and a letter from the 'author' and a third person account of what happens to her after she published the book.


That last part is the part that gets me. I liked it, because the way the 'book' ended wasn't quite enough. But at the same time, I wish the real ending had been more straightforward. Especially because I didn't quite like the implications. I'm all for creepy weird stuff, but... I don't know. It has to be done a certain way. (I was if-y about the ending of Under the Dome by Stephen King. For the same reason I'm if-y about the ending of this book. Make of that what you will. I will note that I loved Under the Dome. And I need to read more Stephen King books.(


But as for this book, it wasn't bad. It was way better than I expected. Except for the ending. That was a bit disappointing.


As a side note: isn't that cover so cool, though? Creepy and cool. Love it so much. I swear every time I look at it, I get a mini panic attack. I don't know, I'm weird.


Rating: 3.5 stars


Recommendation: for those who like conspiracies and strange, controversial topics. And creepy stuff.

-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff