Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Polaris Uprising by Jennifer Ibarra

No comments:
 

Goodreads Summary

In less than seven years, eighteen-year-old Ryla Jensen will succeed her father as the president of Neress, a nation where all citizens are cared for from the moment they’re born. Fed, sheltered, even educated—every need of theirs is met.

The only price they pay is their free will.

Groomed since childhood to take on a role she’s not even sure she wants, Ryla’s only escape from the pressures of duty is her sister, Alanna. But when her eyes are opened to the oppressive regime her father built, she begins to question everything she’s set to inherit—and finds herself at odds with her sister’s blind allegiance to their father.

Torn between loyalty to her family and the fight for freedom, Ryla must decide just how far she’s willing to go to make a stand and risk losing the person she loves most in the world: Alanna.



Review

I want to get one thing straight. This book deserves five stars for concept alone. This has a direct relationship to everything my history teacher talks about in class. I love listening to him talk. I loved reading the political stuff in this book. Because it sounds great. The government takes care of everyone. Everyone is equal - except for the really important people, of course.

Some people love that. Others hate it. I'd personally be terrified of living in a world like that. Maybe it's my history teacher brainwashing me, but I doubt it. I do have a mind of my own. Government involvement and equality is a real issue. Some people want it at any cost. Others recognize that we'd all be better off without. I'm not here to debate that, just point out that that's what made me love this book. It addresses exactly these issues in a sci-fi world. Talk about the perfect book.

So why the low rating? Well, because at the time I rated this, I was going off of feels alone. Which is one of the stupidest things I've ever done. This is why I hate the little pop-up when you finish reading a book. Choose a rating? Right after I finished? I haven't had time to process!

I rarely change ratings after that initial one. If I could change it, I'd at least give it 4.5. I've had time to reflect on the concept. And it's amazing.

But back to the feels.

My main problem is probably the most usual one: I had a hard time getting into it. Third person throws me off big time. I did get into it. And I shipped the obvious couples. And then things happened and I got upset. So that killed my feels, too. Because honestly. She didn't have to do that *sniff*.

As for the ending - I need more. I want to know how this turns out. Like I said, I LOVED the "political" stuff. I want to know. I really do.


Original Rating: 3.5 stars

New Rating: 4.5 stars



Recommendation: for those who love sci-fi. And possibly have an inclination for politics/philosophy and such


-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff