Sunday, March 9, 2014

Wolfie's Wondering: The End of a Series

No comments:
 
This is a feature on Writer Person that is partially discussion post, partially question post, and partially observation post. It changes with my mood and whatever my pressing concern is.

 Nowadays, trilogies seem to be the rule, as opposed to the exception. Hell, I'm trying to figure out how to make my trilogy into two books or four books. Just because I don't want my books to be just another trilogy. Not that there's anything wrong with it. Not that it detracts from the feelings of reading the last book. But compare the end of a trilogy to the end of a 6 book series. Or a 12 book series. Or a 15 book series.

Yup, that's right. This is my tribute to all the series I've seen end, but mostly the Morganville Vampires series. I didn't want to do my usual mini reviews because there are so many books and I read them over a number of years. I started reading the series when I was in... 7th grade? And now I'm a junior in high school. So it's been a while and I've changed a lot, both as a person and a reader. So watching this series end has done some serious damage to my already fragile psyche.The last books are always the hardest. It's a farewell to those characters you've learned to love and it gives closure to their situations. For most people, it's a hit or miss. And I guess that's what it's like for me, too.

I loved Mockingjay (Suzanne Collins). It was heartbreaking, but I totally got the closure I needed. Especially with that epilogue. I think it's absolutely perfect.

I hated Last Sacrifice (Richelle Mead). Actually, to be more specific, I loved it until about halfway through and then I hated it.

I loved The Reckoning (Kelley Armstrong). Probably because of Derek.


Everfound (Skinjacker Trilogy by Neal Shusterman) was great. So so sad. I was slightly disappointed. But it was still great.

Nevermore (Maximum Ride series by James Patterson) was okay, but that ending sucked in my opinion. It was just too unbelievable for me.

Light (Gone series by Michael Grant) was amazing. And that ending was perfect.


Everlasting (Evermore series by Alyson Noel) also sucked. To put it bluntly.

Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater) was beautiful. The ending was rather unclear, though. I wanted to know if Grace was going to die or not. Is that so much to ask? :/

Gates of Paradise (Blue Bloods series by Melissa de la Cruz) was another beautifully perfect one. Maybe the ending was a little bit of a sellout move. But I couldn't be happier.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. You get the idea. No matter how good the series is, the last book may either reaffirm those feelings or make you hate the entire series (see: Last Sacrifice).

And then there are some series I just couldn't finish. Because the first book or first few books were okay, but it got so horrible that I couldn't bear the last one. There are very few series I leave hanging like that and I can only think of two off the top of my head. The Wings series by Aprilynne Pike and the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. Seriously, with those two I didn't even pretend to want to read the last book. I saw Rapture at BnN, went straight to the last page and congratulated myself for not wasting my time. Destined went like this I talked to a friend who ruined it for me then I saw it at BnN, looked up the last few pages and found out she was right. Was proud of myself for not wasting my time.

Upon looking up the issue on Goodreads, I see that I also didn't finish the Wicked Lovely series (Melissa Marr) or the Tantalize series (Cynthia Leitich Smith). And I probably didn't finish the Evernight series (Claudia Gray) or the Need series by Carrie Jones.

Again, I could go on. But it is so difficult because a year hiatus from Goodreads really damages your book records. So I guess I'll go about fixing that whenever I have time. But I don't think it's entirely possible because my memory is so bad.

Back to the Morganville Vampires series... I was especially sad to see this one end. I had it on my shelf for the longest time because I just couldn't deal with it yet. Finally, I made myself start it and once I did, I couldn't stop. I loved returning to Morganville for one last hurrah... and it was great. I'm a little disappointed by the sellout move Rachel Caine made. But, well, sometimes things work out. I guess. Anyways, more on that in my official review.

How do you feel about the last book in a series? Which ones did you love? Hate? Not finish?

-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff