Sunday, February 16, 2014

Unite by Jamie Campbell

No comments:
 

Goodreads Summary

United They Stand.

Seventeen years ago an entire generation of aliens were sent to Earth in order to save their home planet and integrate into the human population. Now, those aliens are being hunted.

Amery Jones is your typical teenager, except for the fact she is an alien and a member of the government’s secret Project Integrate.

When Amery’s best friend Lola is kidnapped in order to get to her, there is only one person that can help – the exceedingly annoying and charming Lochie Mercury.

Together, Amery and Lochie must put aside their differences and attraction in order to rescue Lola before it’s too late.



Review

So this is a pretty weird review to write. Because on one hand, I liked it enough to want to continue. But on the other hand, this wasn't a very good book. The idea was interesting, but the execution... Not my style, in the least.
 

The world building was... weak. I got the purpose of the project. I got why the project was important, I just don't think hiding aliens among humans and then revealing them out of nowhere is a good idea. Have you seen Men in Black?

"Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it."
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

People freak out. I mean, hello! There's already people hunting the aliens! And THEY LOOK EXACTLY LIKE US.

Which brings me to another issue I have. The only thing that separates them from us is some star-shaped birth mark on their wrist. How is that noticeable, or a problem? Do people not have tattoos? Have not a bunch of human cultures done exactly that? Why would people be suspicious when they see that? Why can't she explain it as a weird family thing? It's just a star, right?

What I did like was the way Lochie and Amery hated each other. But it was SO OBVIOUS that he was holding back his feelings for her. It was SO OBVIOUS that they were going to end up together. But I liked them together. So it was okay. That was fine.

Which brings me to my final issue: the way this story was told. Which is a big-y for me, but not as much as it usually is. See, Amery did not sound like a real person to me. She seemed really forced and everything that happened seemed forced and there were probably easier ways to get the story moving, but instead it was complicated and totally not... natural. It didn't flow. Which is a major turn off.

So why do I want to continue? I have no freaking idea. Honestly. I guess I'm interested to see what happens? But I'm not dying to find out or anything. 

Rating: 2 stars


Recommendation: for those who want a sci-fi, but don't expect too much


-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff