Monday, February 24, 2014

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

No comments:
 

Goodreads Summary

Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.








Review

Well I totally agree with that last paragraph in the summary. Just a few pages in and I was literally laughing out loud. I tried not to because I was in class, but I couldn't help the occasional chuckle. I mean, this girl. How the hell doesn't she have friends? She's funny and insightful and her MUSIC. I mean, SERIOUSLY. She could be my best friend. We could take over the world together.

ER, forget that last part.

All that being said, I could understand why people wouldn't like her. She's one-of-a-kind and people suck. People are mean. People try to step on those they feel threatened by. So while I can't believe she doesn't have friends.. I guess I can believe it.

Oddly enough, I love the fact that she's so antisocial. Like, she accidentally hooks up with the guy her friend slept with. I mean, come on. That's a pretty basic unwritten rule, right? But since she's never had friends, it's understandable that the rule never crossed her mind. And that whole situation annoyed me a bit. I wanted to like Char, really I did. And I pretty did like him. Until some comment Vicky made that basically confirmed he's a jerk and she should focus on Harry. That's all I'll say about that.

So what's the best part about this book? Hm. THE MUSIC REFERENCES, maybe. Or maybe the way it just gives you a new perspective on life. For such a short book, it's got an awful lot of insights. And the ending was pretty damn perfect in my opinion. But back to the music. That was obviously the main focus here - a love of music and the people who play it and the people who listen to it and the people who become the awesomest DJ in the history of ever.

Overall, I don't think I have any complaints about this. Maybe that it was too short. Maybe that Char should have been taken care of sooner. Maybe that Harry should've gotten more than a couple of scenes. (Seriously, I was shipping him and Elise so bad...) But this was honestly a great read. I've never been close to what Elise has been through, but I can relate to some level. And I don't know how I could have lived without this book.

Rating: 4 stars


Recommendation: anybody who remotely likes contemporary or music or self-discovery

As a side note: I love the name Leila. I have no idea why. And I love the cover - even (or especially) the fact that the pink letters spell love. I think that's beyond clever.

-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff