Tuesday, January 28, 2014

ARC Review: Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott

No comments:
 
Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love? 




Review

Hey guys! Welcome to my first ever rant review on my blog!
I hope you guys are ready because I've been meditating on this book for a couple weeks and I've finally worked up the nerve to do this.

Let me start off with this: 

I was so excited to read this book. This is the first physical ARC I ever received specifically to review. That cover is absolutely gorgeous (I did a cover reveal here). And I've been in a contemporary mood lately (just see my reviews of Me After You, Heart Breaths, and Flawless). AND that summary. I mean, seriously. A dead mother with an unborn baby inside her? That has got to hurt. I don't even want to think about what I would do in that situation.

But here's what I wouldn't do:
Bitch constantly to my very loving stepfather. About how I never had a choice in keeping my mother alive. About how he cares more about the baby than her mother. About how he basically killed her because he couldn't accept the fact that she couldn't conceive.

Here's the deal people:
Emma has just got it all so mixed up. I honestly couldn't believe some of the stuff she was so convinced of. How could she not understand? Absolutely any good mother would care more about her baby's life than her own. And the fact is, it's her brother's life that's on the line. Her. Freaking. Baby. Brother. Who didn't ask for this to happen. Who had no choice. Who may not even live.

How the freaking hell does she ignore that fact for the entirety of the book? I feel like a heartless bitch because Emma is going through some tough shit. I have to admit that. But that is no excuse for her  to be a heartless bitch to her family.

Honestly, Dan was nice. Hell, he was really nice. You know those really crappy step-parents that don't give a damn about you?

Yeah, he's not like that.


While his determination to have a kid was questionable (Emma's mom was getting older), it's pretty understandable. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby. Right? So you can't really blame the guy. And it's not like he wanted to replace Emma or anything. Throughout the whole book, Emma would flashback to these amazing memories and great times she had with Dan. How she did that and was still able to hate him, I don't even know.

That basically leaves this as the only reason she hates him so much:

You're keeping my mom alive to keep your baby alive.

As if that's a problem or something. As if she doesn't give a damn about her brother. That was just too much for me.

And all this being said, the ending was pretty predictable. And by predictable, I mean totally lame. Sorry, that's how it is. The girl's gotta realize everything eventually, right? I just wish she hadn't been so annoying and hateful about it. 

On that note, the romance was great! Caleb was the only redeeming quality of this book. 

Enough said.
 

Rating: 2 stars


Recommendation: if you like contemporary, and you can deal with Emma, go for it. But if you're like me? Appreciate the cover, but don't you dare buy it.


ELIZABETH SCOTT grew up in a town so small it didn’t even have a post office, though it did boast an impressive cattle population. She’s sold hardware and panty hose and had a memorable three-day stint in the dot-com industry, where she learned that she really didn’t want a career burning CDs. She lives just outside Washington, D.C., with her husband, and firmly believes you can never own too many books. 

Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr




(Note: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.)

-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff