Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 End of Year Book Survey

No comments:
 
I saw a couple people doing this and headed over to The Perpetual Page-Turner to check it out and decided: what the heck? It's certainly interesting and I'd like to give a go. I'll be cheating a bit, most likely. I haven't read too much this year and a majority of my reading has been in the past 3 months or so. But here I go!


BEST IN BOOKS 2013



1. Best Book You Read In 2013?


Contemporary YA – Flawless by Jennifer McGill-Sadera


Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Paranormal — Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Science Fiction —  Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton



2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?


Definitely Above by Leah Bobet. I wanted to love it. It was beautiful and mysterious... but I barely understood what was going on. And that is not okay. I wish I did know, though. I wish...





3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?


Anomaly by Krista McGee was the most recent one. I didn't expect it to bring up religion at ALL. But I liked how it moved the story along. It was nice and certainly different. Crossing by Andrew Xia Fukuda also surprised me. I remember when it debuted in 2010 but I never got the chance to read it until a few months ago. OH MY GOD. I cried so much. I don't know what I expected but definitely not the beautiful book that it was. Under the Never Sky was another surprising one. I picked it up because of the cover but I didn't expect much of it. Twenty pages in and I was convinced it'd only be an "okay" read. Before I knew it I was half way through and wanting MORE.




4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?


Nobody really cares about what books I suggest haha. But I would most recommend Powered by Cheyanne Young. Why? Because it was so great, just like I expected it to be. Plus I think others would actually appreciate it because of the action and that touch of romance which seem to make good sci-fi, well, great. But if I thought people would care about soul-searching, I'd recommend Flawless by Jennifer McGill-Sadera. I am in love with that book. It's so heartbreaking and amazing.





5. Best series you discovered in 2013?


I didn't really discover a lot of series this year. I suppose I discovered the Anna and the French Kiss series by Stephanie Perkins. I read Lola and the Boy Next Door in August and I was pleasantly surprised. I now want the first and third book of the series. I also discovered the Under the Never Sky series. Super excited for books 2 and 3.





6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?


Rainbow Rowell or Trish Doller — I’ve read 2 of their books this year and none of them got rated below 4 stars!





7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?


Hm. This is a hard one. I'd like to think that I read pretty much everything. But I suppose Both Sides Now by Shawn Inmon with Dawn Inmon. It's an actual memoir and I don't usually read stories that, you know, are real. So that was kind of new.





8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?


Ohhhh. Another hard one. I have quite a few but I'll narrow it down to three:

Powered
Damselfly by Jennie Bates Bozic
Lola and the Boy Next Door




9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?


Flawless. No doubt. I will at least read it once, but will probably read it more than that. It's become one of my top three favorite books ever. It's very likely going to join Marley and Me and The Art of Racing in the Rain in their constantly-being-reread state. 





10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?


Above

Is it not beautiful?


11. Most memorable character in 2013?


Does Adrian Ivashkov count? I read Indigo Spell not too long ago and I plan on starting The Fiery Heart before the year is up. He's in the Vampire Academy series and Bloodlines series. He's all kinds of awesome. A bit troubled, but hey, he's hot and he's an artist. Nuff said.





12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?


Crossing, most definitely. I can't even describe it. But it was pretty amazing.





13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?


FLAWLESS. I read it in about a week because I was so stinking busy. And let me tell you, I could not get it out of my mind. I cried at least twice. And not the pretty little tears where it's like, that's beautiful *tear*. No, it was like OH MY GOD THAT'S FREAKING BEAUTIFUL *SOB*. 





14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?


There's quite a few here, but I'll say this one because I haven't said it yet: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.



15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?


I'm choosing this one because it applies to a few of the books I've read this year.

“What's the point of being a hero when everyone thinks you're a villain?”

Ellen Hopkins, Smoke




16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?


ShortestThe Great Gatsby at 180 pages but I read that for school. For reviewing purposes, the shortest is Hunts in Drea,ms at 192 pages.

Longest — Clockwork Princess at 570 pages






17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!


Damselfly

Clan by Realm Lovejoy
Crossing

I won't spoil any of them, but they're there. Somewhere(:



18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).


Romance – Adrian and Sydney! I've been dying since I read The Indigo Spell. I must read The Fiery Heart. I also like Anna and Cas from Anna Dressed in Blood. Haha, that was great.


Friendship – Lia and Wilson from Flawless. That was the best thing ever, even though it was complicated at times. Petra and Calli from The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf. I wish I had someone who could understand me even if I didn't talk.


Familial — Pattyn and Jackie from Smoke. Messed up family, but I love how they're so close.




19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously


They're pretty much all new authors to me this year, especially if I don't include series. I'd say The Future of Us by Jay Asher. I read 13 Reasons Why a while back and for whatever reason, I just wanted to avoid The Future of Us. But it was actually pretty good, so I'm glad I picked it up.




20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:


Huh, nobody really recommends stuff to me. I'll say The Outsiders because my cousin has been pushing me to read it for a while.




21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Craziest thing ever. Usually I'm all about paranormal, sci-fi, fantasy stuff. This year I read a lot of contemporary / realistic fiction. I'm surprised. Very surprised.

 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?


Angel from Smoke. Berk from Anomaly by Krista McGee. Evan from Powered. Ryan from The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg.



23. Best 2013 debut you read?


I'd say Flawless of Damselfly. But since I've used Flawless a thousand times, and Damselfly at least twice soooo I'll say Clan. I've already mentioned it, but only once. It deserves a little more credit than that.



24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?


Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

I haven't mentioned that one yet and it's actually VERY vivid. It's a pretty good sci-fi even though it is a bit old. I swear it was like a movie in my head.



25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?


Stripped Without You - which is two books (Stripped and Without You) by Booklyn Skye all in one. It's a contemporary YA romance and it was pretty fun, I gotta admit.




26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?


Flawless was sobbing. Crossing and The Outsiders was heavy crying. The Weight of Silence and Smoke made me want to cry at times.


 

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

I'd say Crossing because even though I heard about it when it was coming out, I never saw any reviews of it.

I'd also say Above. For such a beautiful cover and such a promising idea, I never heard anything about it.


BOOK BLOGGING/READING LIFE 2013




1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?


Wow. I pretty discovered all the ones I know this year haha. And I feel weird mentioning them because I haven't talked to the people one on one... So I won't mention them o.o






2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?


I love my Flawless review haha. And my Jurassic Park review.




3. Best discussion you had on your blog?


Um. Haven't really had a discussion here, haha...




4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?


I've read too many of those, haha! I can't even pick one, so I won't. Go find them yourself!




5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?


Haven't really participated in any events... Do my blog tours count?


6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?


Getting shoutouts on Twitter from authors I reviewed :D Examples: Colleen McCarty, Realm Lovejoy, and Jennifer McGill-Sadera!




7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?


My review of The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler has the most page views

(I don't even want to mention the one with the most comments because it's so sad...)



8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?


All of my reviews, of course. I don't have too many right now, but they could use views...and comments...

My writing posts could use some more love too. And I'm starting discussion posts, so it'd be nice if those got a little attention.



9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?


I discovered Bloglovin' this year. It helps me keep track of all the blogs I follow, so that's always nice. That's about it, though.




10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?


Uh, nope. I only had my Goodreads goal. Which I started in Septmeber and I foolishly put 100 books as a joke of sorts. So I'm not even close. I'll have 50 by the time the year is done. I guess that's not bad considering I read most of those in 3 months. And the rest were either school books or series books I read earlier in the year.



LOOKING AHEAD



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?


Like, all the ones on my bookshelf? I have a bunch up there. But my priority will be the two series I love that ended: Daylighters by Rachel Caine (Morganville Vampires #15) and Horde by Anne Aguirre (Razorland #3). Both of them together are my number one priority.




2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?


There are a whole bunch but here are a few: Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi (have to read Through the Ever Night first, though); City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare; Silver Shadows  by Richelle Mead.





3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?


Also a bunch here but I must say I'd Alienated by Melissa Landers; Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge; and The Break-Up Artist by Philip Siegel.




4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?


Redeemed by PC and Kristin Cast!



5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?


Jeez, I have a lot I want to accomplish. But my main one is: make some friends in the blogophere. Which means hopping around and trying to talk to people. Let's see how I do with that o.o






-Wolfie



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff