Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

No comments:
 
231804

Goodreads Summary:

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser








Review:

This was one of those books that I always hear about, but never knew what it was about. I'm actually a bit ashamed that it took me so long to finally pick it up. It was nothing at all like I expected. First, it was rather short. I found this to be a shame, because I love long books. But when I finished, I realized how suiting it was. It amazed me to find out S.E. Hinton wrote this when she was sixteen. Can you believe that? I'm so jealous. Her book is so great. The ending made me cry. I could not help it.

Characters: The protagonist and POV here is Ponyboy. It was really hard not to like him. I fell in love with him almost instantly. He has such a big heart and a great conscience. He's really perceptive and I found that to be a great quality. The other main would be Johnny in my opinion. He's a relatively small character as far as- he doesn't stand out much. But he's most of the significance in the book. He comes from a pretty lousy home and a jumping from a soc leaves him so paranoid and afraid, he almost has no personality. But he's got this amazing, profound, yet simple, way of thinking. And I really loved that. All of the characters were just so real. I either loved or hated them and for some of them I felt both.

Plot: The main plot of the story is when Johnny kills the soc, like it says in the summary. There are events that lead up to it and events that are a result of it and overall... It was fast-paced and exciting and shocking but never once did I doubt it. The characters were real and so were the threats. They really didn't have many options. This book was wonderfully written and the message was very deep.


Rating: 5 stars



Why: It moved me so much. It gave me a new perspective on life and rivalries and petty differences.

Recommendation: Lovers of realistic fiction, historical fiction, classics, young adult. If you like adventure and/or meaning in your books. I totally suggest this one.
 

Quotes:


“I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me.”  


“Can you see the sunset real good on the West side? You can see it on the East side too.”
“It seemed funny that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two worlds we lived in weren’t so different. We saw the same sunset.”

“Sixteen years on the streets and you can learn a lot. But all the wrong things, not the things you want to learn. Sixteen years on the streets and you see a lot. But all the wrong sights, not the things you want to see.”  

“They grew up on the outside of society. They weren't looking for a fight. They were looking to belong.”  

“Things were rough all over, but it was better that way. That way you could tell the other guy was human too.”  

“I've been thinking about it, and that poem, that guy that wrote it, he meant you're gold when you're a kid, like green. When you're a kid everything's new, dawn. It's just when you get used to everything that it's day. Like the way you dig sunsets, Pony. That's gold. Keep that way, it's a good way to be.”


-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff