Friday, November 22, 2013

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

No comments:
 
The Lonely Hearts Club (The Lonely Hearts Club, #1)Goodreads Summary:
Love is all you need... or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . . .









Review:
A long, long time ago, I got this book from the library. Sometime around the time it first came out. I never got the chance to read it because of school and other books that I probably deemed more important. After I returned it, I never thought about it again. And then a couple months ago, I was looking through my to-read list on Goodreads and I was looking specifically for books that I never had the chance to read. So, older books. And I stumbled across this one. And I got it from the library. It was such a fun read! I read it in a weekend and it was so great!

Characters:
So I felt like I really had a lot in common with Penny. I was really surprised that I still liked her. She was funny and rather mature, although still naïve. Was she confused at times? Of course. Who isn't?
Was she maybe overreacting? Maybe, but it wasn't really a bad thing at all. The very idea is admirable. What are boys anyways? Annoying, immature liars. Oh, except maybe-
But I won't ruin that, in case you haven't read it!
I will say that I liked him from the beginning and :D
He's really sweet. And I liked how Penny handled the situation. In the end, I feel she made the right choice. But I won't say more, I promise.
Some other interesting characters would be Diana and Tracy. I'll admit I sometimes read a little too fast, so they got a bit mixed up in my head. As far as, who's talking now? Because Diana was a former friend of Penny's. And Tracy is Penny's new best friend. And they really are pretty different. It was when they actually agreed that I was rereading to see who said what. But I wouldn't consider that a flaw on the book's part. That's all me there. My brain is naturally scattered.

Plot:
The plot was rather simple. It's a realistic fiction, with quite a few Beatles references, starting with the title. Did you notice? Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? It's the source of many humorous moments.
I don't know if I'd say this book is *original*, but it certainly is entertaining. I always love a new perspective and I felt like I got that. It was funny when it needed to be, serious when it needed to be. Overall, I feel it was well-written for such a simple plot. There are a couple twists that I didn't really expect. Not like- holy cow someone died! But certainly changes in perspective.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Why: great weekend read, with the right amount of depth (which I love in any book)

Recommendation: people into YA contemporary, as well as people looking for a light read or a good laugh

Favorite Quotes:
“I wondered if it would've been too subtle to wear a T-shirt that said thank you for your interest, but I am no longer dating.
I knew Todd, wasn't a huge fan of reading, but he did like to stare at my shirts.”

“I tried to remember what Rita had said about being a bigger person. I could either calmly tell him that he was mistaken or let him have it. I could be the bigger person or I could be like any normal sixteen-year-old.
Like there really was a choice.
"First off, you ever call me a babe again and no medical team on earth will be able to tell that you were once a guy."
I was only sixteen after all.”

“There was only one thing I could do to ease the pain. I turned to the only four guys who'd never let me down. The only four guys who'd never broken my heart, who'd never disappointed me.
John, Paul, George, and Ringo.
Anybody who has ever clung to a song like a musical life raft will understand. Or put on a song to bring out an emotion or a memory. Or had a soundtrack playing in their head to drown out a conversation or a scene.”

“He was a guy. A guy guy. As far as I was concerned, he probably had the dead bodies of small children and puppies hidden in his locker.”

“And I did deserve everything I wanted -- somebody who would appreciate me, someone I could trust, someone who liked me for me.”  

-Wolfie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff