Sunday, November 17, 2013

Hunts in Dreams by Tom Drury

No comments:
 
Hunts in Dreams

Goodreads Summary:

In this mesmerizing novel, Tom Drury once again journeys to the quiet Midwest to spend an action-packed October weekend in the lives of a precarious family whose members all want something without knowing how to get it: for Charles, an heirloom shotgun; for his wife, Joan, the imaginative life she once knew; for their young son, Micah, a knowledge of the scope and reliability of his world, aided by prowling the empty town at night; and for Joan’s daughter, Lyris, a stable foot from which to begin to grow up.
Sometimes together, sometimes crucially apart, father, mother, son, and daughter move through a series of vivid encounters that demonstrate how even the most provisional family can endure in its own particular way.









Review:

Personally I'm a little... stunned, I think. This book was nothing like I expected. That being said, I'm not exactly sure what I expected. It took me forever to read this book because I've been so busy. Every time I did get a chance to read it, I felt like I was stuck in some kind of dreamlike trance. Weird? Yeah, I think so. Probably more me than the book though. Although the book had a lot of dreamlike qualities in my opinion. Which suits the title and theme very well.

Characters:
I didn't feel any strong attachment to it. I wasn't able to connect to any of the characters for whatever reason. I was rather shocked by them so perhaps that's it.
Lyris, for example, was scary in her violence. No, that's wrong. She wasn't violent, just kind of rough. Does she have reason to be? Yeah, her last foster parents were possible terrorists. So.
Micah was the one I was most concerned about, but I feel like I didn't really learn anything about him. Which again sucks, because I wanted to know.
Joan kind of disappointed me. I have to say that.
Charles/Tiny was certainly interesting. But I'm not sure how I feel about him. At all.

Plot:
I feel really bad looking at its two stars, but it was okay.
Oddly enough, I really enjoyed the last ten pages. I felt like I was finally escaping that trance I mentioned earlier. The ending was pretty great. The irony was something I appreciated a lot.
I was a bit confused by some parts of the book, but I feel like if I read it again, I'd get it a bit better.
Sadly that probably won't be a while because I have so many other books I need to go through. But I will definitely be revisiting this one.
I will add that the title does get explained over the course of the book. And then the whole dream-like thing doesn't feel as weird.
I will add that I haven't read the first book The End of Vandalism. So that's probably why I wasn't so into it. I guess I'll read that one, then reread this one. And there is a third book that sounds pretty interesting, so I'll be reading that, too. I wish I had gotten more into it. I feel like I missed so much.

Rating: 2 stars


Why: Couldn't get into it for whatever reason. However it does deserve a reread. And a read of the first and second book.

Recommendation: I don't have a specific recommendation for this, sorry.

Quotes:

None that really stood out to me. Again, I have to reread this.


Note: I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.


-Wolfie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff