Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks

No comments:
 
So today is Thanksgiving. In honor of my favorite holiday, I will do this post about all the things I am thankful for.

First off, I'm thankful for this holiday. I rarely see them anymore and this is one of the few times I actually do get to see them. In the past, we've gone to my aunt's house. All my cousins and aunts and uncles go and we eat a lot. We talk, watch movies, play Loteria... The past few times, we looked up videos on YouTube, took tons of pictures, and posted some of them on Instagram. Times have changed.
I'm one of the youngest cousins and it's weird for me. I can't even imagine how weird it is for my sister, who's five years younger. The closest cousin to my age is actually my second cousin. And now she's a freshman in college. Shocking stuff.
I'm glad I have the memories though. Thanksgiving will always be special to me.

Of course, I'm thankful for my family. Like I mentioned already, I rarely see them. But they've done a lot for me over the years. One of my aunts used to babysit me and me sister. She took care of us for 6 years. Those are times I absolutely loved.
Another one of my aunts (my great-aunt, actually) took care of me before that. Her daughter is my best friend in the whole entire world, so that was cool, of course. Emily and I used to play with Barbies and baby dolls. We'd dress similarly and go swimming in the little inflatable pool in the backyard. We're more grown up now, so instead of doing all that, we watch movies on Netflix, talk about life, and eat way too much junk food. Last summer we went to Six Flags. I haven't seen her much since then. School and life gets in the way, sometimes.

Which brings me to friends.
I tend to be a bit paranoid and pessimistic. I have a hard time truly believing that people genuinely care about me. I'm trying to get over that. More on that later.
But I am very thankful for the friends I have. Whether they get my bookish obsessions or not is irrelevant. They accept me for who I am and would never abandon me.
As for my best friend, he's an entirely different discussion. I'm beyond thankful for him. I was in a rough spot when we first started talking and I still can't believe he stuck around. He owed me nothing, he barely knew me. Now for all you romantic freaks out there, it's not because he magically fell in love with me (sometimes I wish that was the case though). The truth is, he was getting over a breakup. And when he got over her, instead of falling for the girl that helped him out, he fell for some other girl. Am I bitter about that? I think so. I try not to be, but it does suck. She's so annoying and it's insulting that he liked her but not me. And it didn't even last long. So I had to help him through yet another breakup. I digress. The point is we've been through a lot. I feel like he really gets me. I love that so much.

As for school, I am not thankful for all the homework and stress. I am thankful for some of the teachers though. My English teacher last year was absolutely phenomenal. I will always be thankful for her. She opened my eyes to a new way of thinking and introduced me to knew poetry and I was surprised by how much I liked the stuff we read. I did not know anybody in that class, nor did I try. (I'm not exactly a social person.) But I loved that class. Just because of her.
I also love my history teachers. I really like learning history and hearing them talk about stuff that happened hundreds of years ago and relate it to today... It's amazing. I love it.

Then there's things like a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes on my back. Those everyday things you don't think about unless you don't have them. I have to share a room, but honestly I don't mind. Because what's the alternative? Granted, I don't know what the alternative is. Sharing a room with a sibling is not always ideal. But there isn't anywhere else I can sleep, so I don't complain.
I've moved quite a few times during my life. I just moved to this house a year and a half ago. I really like this house. Sure, I had my own room in the last house. And my own book shelf. But here, we have a den. And I love our den.
We won't be living here much longer. My family will move regardless of where I go to college. Whether I move with them, or away from them, totally depends.

I'm not sure how to word this, but I'm thankful that I'm going to college. That my parents are going to help out as much as they can. It means a lot that I don't have to worry about that. Other people aren't so lucky. Maybe when I get out of college, I won't have thousands of dollars in debt. That's what my parents hope, anyways.

I'm thankful for all the family vacations I've been on with my parents and my sister. I have yet to go out of the country, but I have been to several other states. Traveling is definitely something I enjoy. I'm glad I get to do that with my family.

I feel like I'm forgetting a lot, but I realize that I'm really fortunate. I have a family, a house, good health. I really should take care of myself better. Better diet and regular exercise and all that. But I'm young, and who thinks about that when they're young?

I'm thankful for everyone I've ever met. Because in some way or another, they've made a difference in my life. I'm not saying they're all huge, earth-shattering differences. But little things here and there. I'm trying to be a better person. I know what my flaws are. I just wish I was better at fixing them.
I'm thankful for all of those that have been helping me along the way.

I'm thankful for my uncle, Arlee Bird. That may be a familiar name to some of you. It's because of him that I started blogging. I disappeared for a while. And honestly, it's been a while since I've seen him in person, too. But I'm glad that he introduced me to this world.
I'm glad that I came back. I started writing again, reading again. I stumbled across so many awesome blogs. I've got new books, and more to look forward to. I know I'm terrible at visiting. Life is so overwhelming at times. There's so much to do. But there are several bloggers that I would love to know better. I won't list them here because I think that's weird. But you get the idea.

So I feel like this is a super long post. I'm not sure if anybody will actually read this. But if you've made it this far, thanks for reading. Sorry if it seemed like a rant at times.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
God bless.

-Wolfie
aka Joanna
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do read every comment and I reply to all the ones that elicit some sort of response. So if you want, you can check back in a couple days to see if I replied.(:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff